The sum of 200,000-250,000 euros is claimed by the former ex-secretary, Akis Tsohatzopoulos, who was released from prison.
As his lawyer revealed, the former minister also had an appointment with the Deputy Finance Minister, George Houliarakis, who assured him that he would immediately come to the circle for regulating debts to the state.According to the newspaper «Eleftheros Press», Akis Tsochatzopoulos was found guilty of a violation of Article 25 of Law 1882/90, that is to say, «a breach of the deadline for payment of debts to the State, which is certified by the competent authorities, the failure to pay three consecutive installments or in the case of debts which are paid out lump-sum for late payment of more than two months after the expiry of their payment period. ‘
The act was put in place in March 2014, when PASOK’s former strong man was in prison for the TOR M1 scandal and was unable to pay money. In the Three-Member Defamation Court in Athens, where the case was adjudicated, the accused himself did not appear but was represented by a lawyer.
The dialogue with the headquarters in order to postpone the case was short but particularly revealing.
- President: I see here that there is no possibility to pay money, have been given 247 euros.
- C. Tsohatzopoulos: We would like a postponement. Mr. Tsohatzopoulos is claiming money from the state. Awaits the Court of Auditors’ decision. They had appealed along with other MPs by asking back. He expects to receive between 200,000 and 250,000 euros.
- Prosecutor: This is the 1/3 of the money owed …
- C. Tsohatzopoulos: I know it but it’s a beginning. Let me tell you that he also made an appointment with Deputy Finance Minister, Mr.
- Houliarakis, and assured him that there is regulation that will also concern those who have not been able to enter into the out-of-court settlement. He told him that a relevant circular would be forthcoming regarding debts to insurance funds and tax authorities. We ask for postponement in order to settle or pay off.
Ultimately, the court has decided to postpone the case so that the former minister, who expects the decision of the court of appeal in the armaments case, will come forward with a decision to settle his debts.
It is recalled that Akis Tsochatzopoulos, after several requests for release, passed the Korydallos Prison gate last May, when it was considered necessary to suspend the execution of his sentence for health reasons. He was, however, subject to strict restrictive conditions, including the payment of a guarantee of EUR 200,000. The money for the payment of the guarantee was paid by friends and associates of Akis Tsochatzopoulos, who managed to be released about a month after the decision.